Travel Trends is an annual publication providing trends in overseas travel and tourism, based on interviews on the International Passenger Survey (IPS).
Selected key findings:
- 2011 saw an increase in number of overseas visits both to and from the UK for the first time since 2006.
- Overseas residents made 3.3% more visits to the UK in 2011 compared with 2010 and in total stayed for 3.2% more nights and spent 6.5% more money on these visits.
- UK residents made 2.3% more visits abroad. However, they stayed for 2.0% less nights and spent 0.4% less money on these visits in 2011 compared with 2010.
- Overseas residents made 15.3 million overnight visits to London in 2011, an increase of 584,000 (4.0 per cent) from 2010, and spent an estimated £9.4 billion on visits to the Capital.
- Visits to Europe grew by 3.5% while those to North America grew by 0.4% and those to Other Countries fell by 2.6%
- Holiday visits abroad grew by 1.1%, business visits by 3.1% and those to visit friends or relatives increased by 6.9%.
Click here to read the full report